Relationships that stand the test of time.
Dermatology Specialists is the premiere private dermatology practice in the Twin Cities. Our practice of fifteen board certified dermatologists and eighty-five employees provides comprehensive medical, surgical, cosmetic and pediatric dermatologic care. We are growth minded, entrepreneurial and pride ourselves on being a place where great people and great ideas can shine. We value independent thought and autonomy within a team environment. Our core values are built on accountability, being a team player and displaying a caring demeanor in all aspects of daily interaction. We pride ourselves on building relationships that stand the test of time with all individuals we encounter.
Qualified laboratory personal prepares histologic slides from human tissue section for microscopic examination and diagnosis by Pathologist.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Exercise independent judgement and action in dealing with unexpected procedural and technical problems.
- Examines slides and/or blocks to ensure tissue preparation is meeting laboratory requirements.
- Prepares sections of human tissue for microscopic examination and patient diagnosis, using techniques to gross (dissect tissue), embed (orient specimen in paraffin block), section (cut thin sections of tissue), mount tissue (adhere tissue onto glass slides), stain (enhance contrast of tissue and highlight specific features of interest with routine hematoxylin and eosin stains).
- Processes specimens independently to eliminate possible contamination or patient swap.
- Performs recuts and additional stains including special and immunohistochemistry stains, as requested by a Pathologist.
- The ability to prepare chemical, reagents and solutions according to laboratory procedures.
- Operates computerized laboratory equipment to fix, dehydrate, and infiltrate specimens with paraffin wax to be preserved for study by a Pathologist.
- Ensure accurate labeling and documentation of requisitions, specimen containers, cassettes and/or slides of each specimen received in the laboratory.
- Maintains laboratory equipment and tracks all routine maintenance and quality controls preformed.
- Maintain inventory of supplies, materials and equipment.
- Files, retrieves, and distributes blocks, slides, and pathology reports. Operates and cleans laboratory equipment, glassware, instruments and workstations.
- Disposes of hazardous chemical waste per regulatory guidelines.
- Maintains strict confidentiality with patients and employees.
- Complies with all state, federal and professional regulations as well as company and departmental rules, policies and procedural manuals.
- Adhere and keep current with CLIA, state and city regulations, HIPAA, safety and OSHA regulations.
- Ability to retrieve requested materials from other clinics and preform material send out requests from other clinics, patients or clinicians either by USPS or FedEx.
- Ability to send out for specified testing as requested by the Pathologist and/or clinician.
- Understanding and use of all laboratory equipment: computers and programs, scanners, forceps, rulers, tissue dyes, scalpel and/or razor blades, microtomes, cryostat, water bath, slide rack, tissue processor, drying oven, automatic stainer, automatic coverslipper, automatic immunohistochemistry stainer, automatic cassette printer and personal protective equipment.
- Accepts accountability and responsibility for actions and behavior.
- Ability to determine priorities when assessing daily assignments and to be able to organize work flow for effectiveness of time and laboratory needs.
- Shows willingness to assist coworkers and other employees with personal tasks when workload permits without being required to.
- Knowledge of CLIA regulations regarding proficiency testing, quality assurance and quality control.
- Knowledge of laboratory policies and procedures, equipment and testing to monitor control checks.
- Knowledge of medical terminology to communicate with laboratory, clinical staff and Pathologist.
- Understands possible exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, blood borne pathogens, chemical hazards and sharp instruments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Strong organizational skills
- Focus on accuracy and attention to detail
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Work with a team mentality and contribute to the overall business function of the organization.
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds.
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace
Associates of Science Degree or Bachelors of Science Degree, and completion of a Histology program accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) or minimum of one year experience as a Histology Technician.
Certified or eligible for Board of Certification (BOC) by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP). Current completion of annual continuing education (CE) credits per state licensure and/or ASCP guidelines.
The candidate will have the ability to work independently and as a member of a team and will possess strong organizational, customer service and multitasking skills. Proven analytical skills with the ability to identify problems and initiate solutions.
The ideal candidate possesses a strong work ethic, demonstrates attention to detail, scheduling proficiencies, EMR knowledge, and excellent computer skills are essential.
As a condition of employment Dermatology Specialists, does require current COVID 19 and Influenza vaccinations.
We operate a positive and professional environment for patients and staff. Our physicians and staff at Dermatology Specialists take pride in our work as caring health professionals while keeping the patient’s best interest in mind.
Lab work required to stand, walk, sit, and carry items less than 40 pounds. Continually utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, read business related information, and/or use a keyboard
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org